Tuesday, April 17, 2012

OPERATION END-GAME - 19- OPERATION BLAST- GUEST POSTING BY FORMER DEPUTY BOB HILL










OPERATION END GAME 19



"OPERATION BLAST"



GUEST POSTING BY THE FORMER DEPUTY OF ST MARTIN BOB HILL;


"Given all the foot stamping that followed the Minister’s statement one would have thought that States Members would have been lining up outside Mr Warcup’s office to find out what was in their file. However that was not the case because I was one of the few Members who accepted the invitation and by appointment met Mr Warcup. Unfortunately he refused to show me the contents of my alleged file on the grounds of confidentiality. I did not understand his logic because if the file was confidential and about me then why was I not allowed to see it He said my file was in a folder with others but he could not show me in case I saw something which might be confidential. I asked whether he could cover the parts of the file which might be confidential, but again that request was refused. "




EXPOSING THE CORRUPTION



3 SUSPENSIONS FOR THE FORMER CHIEF OF POLICE GRAHAM POWER


HIS ONLY CRIME WAS EXPOSING DECADES OF CHILD ABUSE IN JERSEY CARE HOMES.




Today we concentrate on a part of Senator Le Marquands statement to Jersey Politicians on the 16th June 2009 as published in full on Operation Blast End Game -17.


After reading Bob Hills account of his meeting you will again be left wandering just what the hell the Home Affairs Minister and Acting Chief of Police were up to.


I quote Senator Le Marquand;

Existing or former Members of the States who are concerned by the contents of this statement may wish to contact the Acting Chief Officer of Police, Mr. David Warcup, who has agreed to meet individually with them, should they so wish, in order to discuss the contents of their section of the files. However, I must inform Members that Mr. Warcup will not be able to reveal to them any items which cannot be properly disclosed outside of the police intelligence community. I will, of course, answer questions which Members may have but the answers which I can give will be limited because of possible police disciplinary issues which may arise from this discovery.



Former Deputy Bob Hill took Acting Chief Officer David Warcup up on his offer.


Below is Bob Hills account of what happened when he went down to the States of Jersey Police Station to look at his file.



Dear Rico,

Congratulations on the superb Blogs you have been publishing relating to Operation Blast, you have asked if I would make a contribution to your Blog in relation to the Blast Saga. This I am pleased to do and hope that the following will be helpful.

I was in the States on 16th June 2009 when Senator Le Marquand via a statement informed Members of the existence of the “secret unauthorised files.” In the statement he said, “Existing or former Members of the States who are concerned by the contents of this statement may wish to contact the Acting Chief Officer of Police, Mr. David Warcup, who has agreed to meet individually with them, should they so wish, in order to discuss the contents of their section of the files. However, I must inform Members that Mr. Warcup will not be able to reveal to them any items which cannot be properly disclosed outside of the police intelligence community.”

Given all the foot stamping that followed the Minister’s statement one would have thought that States Members would have been lining up outside Mr Warcup’s office to find out what was in their file. However that was not the case because I was one of the few Members who accepted the invitation and by appointment met Mr Warcup. Unfortunately he refused to show me the contents of my alleged file on the grounds of confidentiality. I did not understand his logic because if the file was confidential and about me then why was I not allowed to see it He said my file was in a folder with others but he could not show me in case I saw something which might be confidential. I asked whether he could cover the parts of the file which might be confidential, but again that request was refused.

I asked whether I could see anything that would confirm that a file actually existed, but again the request was rejected. All Mr Warcup would reveal was that my file contained my name, address and other contact details. I said those details could be found in the telephone directory so why the fuss? I said that some time ago the police had informed me that they had received information relating to a death threat and they had maintained a guard on my home. I asked if that matter was in my file or that I was a former police officer. I was told that information was not in my file.

Mr Warcup knew of my policing background and I mentioned intelligence gathering and the collation of information including of people in high office and Special Branch’s role in the matter. Unfortunately Mr Warcup would not be drawn into any conversation. At that time of course I was not aware of his role in his boss’s suspension and other untoward actions. Whilst it might appear that the visit was a waste of time, it was not, because I am satisfied that there was nothing untoward with the collation of my file. It certainly did not justify a further suspension or the expenditure of over £300,000 on an investigation to justify it. This has now proven to be the case.

What is apparent is that there was no independent system in place with oversight of the Minister’s actions, not only in his handling of the suspension but also of the obscene expenditure incurred when trying to justify the suspensions. Lessons have not been learnt because there is still no system in place. The sooner a Police Authority is established the better. But please do not hold your breath, because the States has yet to approve P182/2011 and even if approved it will take at least a further 18 months before an Authority it is up and running.

It is also apparent that Ministers were completely beguiled by Mr Warcup who no one noticed was heavily conflicted and if it had not been for the lodging of P33/2010 he would have been installed as the Police Chief. P33/2010 asked the States to defer debating Mr Warcup’s appointment until after the Napier Report had been published. Even though the Terms of Reference were scuppered Mr Napier could not avoid reporting on Mr Warcup’s unsavoury role in his boss’s suspension thus rendering him unfit to replace Mr Power.

Were the files secret and were they unauthorised? The word secret implies that if their contents were revealed it would lead to serious damage. Well thanks to Rico’s Blog we now have an idea of the information recorded. Whilst it may have been a little embarrassing it has not led to any serious damage to either the Members concerned or the public. I suspect that the public might feel a little cheated as much of what has now been revealed was already in the public domain.

Were the files unauthorised? I think not, the States Police are responsible for our “National Security” and like other Police Forces have a Department called Special Branch. One would hope that if the actions of States Members or other people in high office raise concerns then they should be recorded somewhere. Intelligence gathering is an operational matter and part and parcel of an efficient police force. The person who ultimately gives the authorisation is the Chief Officer, it is now apparent that along with a small group of senior and highly experienced officers a view was formed that in common with other jurisdictions files would be maintained on States Members. Rightly so that information would be kept out of sight of even the lower ranking police officers.

Due to the most unprofessional action of Mr Warcup who inexplicably rejected the offer for Mr Power’s representatives to witness the safe’s opening, we don’t know what was in the safe and we don’t know if anything was “planted.” or removed without being recorded. Like the suspension process the safe opening was a pretty amateur operation. It leads one to believe that there was a belief by those involved that they were “untouchable.”
Thanks to questions being asked in the States by a dogged group of Members and the effectiveness of Blogs the truth has come out. Sadly the messengers get condemned whilst those found wanting are given golden handshakes and other rewards, but I suppose is what we call the “Jersey way.”


For readers who have been following this mind boggling display of incompetence/corruption in a public office from the Home Affairs Minister and Acting Chief Officer won't be surprised at what the former Deputy Bob Hill had to say.

These are the propositions referred to in the above account by former Deputy Bob Hill.





These actions by the Minister and Acting Chief of Police are indicative of the actions of past Governments and Golden Handshakes. Actions that are above good governance in a public office and beyond any form of checks and balances by past Governments.

It again must be stated that some very decent politicians weren't fooled.

But the old conservative groupthink closed ranks and put the reputation of Jersey above anything else.


I will be doing a live BlogTV chat on Sunday 22nd at 18:00 hours GMT


The link is below.



If anybody would like to ask me any questions about the work covered on my blog you can leave them in my comments section and I will answer them on Sunday.


Rico Sorda


Part Time Investigative Journalist

19 comments:

thejerseyway said...

Hi Rico.

Just put up the Audio from today's Questions without answers. You & your readers can Listen HERE

Rob Kent said...

"Even though the Terms of Reference were scuppered Mr Napier could not avoid reporting on Mr Warcup’s unsavoury role in his boss’s suspension thus rendering him unfit to replace Mr Power."

No, that is not true. I read in the JEP that the reason Warcup didn't take up his post was he was sick of being criticised by local bloggers. Ah, diddums...

The fact that he had shafted his own boss, Macbeth-like, in order to take over his job while simultaneously feeding the appetite of Jersey politicians to get rid of the child abuse scandal has nothing to do with it.

Maybe he had a premonition that they couldn't control the Internet and we would eventually find out what he had been up to and it would be mighty embarrassing for all of them?

Oppose control of the Internet by your government: they would love to stop you finding out the truth. And they are prepared to use paedophiles, copyright infringers, libel, and terrorists as an excuse to clamp down on it.

They used to blame 'Communists' and use them as an excuse to topple governments and take away your freedoms. Times have changed.

Anonymous said...

Rico a question for you on Blog TV regarding Operation Blast.

In Graham Powers written explanation of the circumstances surrounding the creation of files on States members GP states that this was done with the full knowledge and approval of the former Chief Minister Frank Walker and Chief Officer Bill Ogley.

In Bob HIll's account he states that it the creation the files is simply a matter of good policing.

There's a subtle difference here. Can you clarify this point?

In short. Was GP acting on instructions or did he take it upon himself without consultation?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for giving us this information which goes a long way to show what you and VFC have been saying all along and that is Operation Blast didn't even exist. All we have is ILM's and David Warcup's word for it and when asked for proof of his file by Deputy Hill Warcup couldn't produce it.

Anonymous said...

Rico, a question for blog TV. Will you be looking to replace the talkback show scrapped by the government controlled BBC? I'll be tuning in to your live broadcast 6pm Sunday.

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

Unfortunately he (Warcup) refused to show me the contents of my alleged file on the grounds of confidentiality. I did not understand his logic because if the file was confidential and about me then why was I not allowed to see it He said my file was in a folder with others but he could not show me in case I saw something which might be confidential. I asked whether he could cover the parts of the file which might be confidential, but again that request was refused. "

So there is a file but I'm not going to show you it, you'll have to take my, and Ian Le Marquand's, word for it!

How tragic is that and how tragic is it that the State Media keep this sort of stuff buried?

Zoompad said...

I would like to know if my name is mentioned anywhere on these files. How would I go about finding out?

My name shouldn't be mentioned anywhere, as I am not even a Jersey resident, but I have a strong suspicion that it is and I would like to know for sure. I know for certain that my email account has been hacked and something was done to my mobile phone.

Zoompad said...

Warcup and co would be very anxious to cover up surveillance done on victims of child abuse. That would be the final nail in the coffin, I should think. For my part, I waive all rights to anonymity, if I am mentioned in these secret files I would not mind one bit if they were disclosed.

Ian Evans said...

LOBOTOMY FOR HOSPITAL REPORT!

Anonymous said...

Another important and highly relevant blog posting by Tony concerning the Sharp report in relation to the Jervis-Dykes case.

http://tonymusings.blogspot.com/2012/04/at-sharp-end.html

Anonymous said...

http://thejerseyway.blogspot.com/2010/10/questions-in-states-121010-part-1.html

1st audio. Is the Chief Minister of the time correct? Mr. Le Sueur 6.00 onwards.

Zoompad said...

QUESTIONS IN THE STATES 12/10/10
6.00 SIMON CROWCROFT:
Thank you sir. The minister said on a couple of occasions this morning that he believes that the subsequent investigation, the disciplinary investigation was fully justified and correct. Could he explain how this can be, given that the initial suspension has been shown by Napier to be fundimantally ill conceived?
6.21 CHAIR:
Chief Minister
6:22 TERRY LE SUEUR
Sir, Mr Napier suggests that there could have been procedural errors in the suspension process, er, both of, he says there is no conspiracy or anything there, the course of subsequently, he looked at this sir, the new Home Affairs minister looked at it as well, found the suspension processes fully justified the evidence we see from the Wiltshire Report and elsewhere further amplifies if any further proof were needed, that that suspension was totally valid and justified

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

AN ABUSE SURVIVOR GUEST POSTING

Ian Evans said...

THE CORRUPT FRUITCAKE STRIKES AGAIN

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think capital punishment should be reintroduced for rapists,

1 line from online letter in rag re tasers,amazing how this statement slipped past a certain senior member of the rag.

ps don't like the letters on moderation cannot decipher easily!!

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

You will be doing a live, and interactive, broadcast tomorrow Sunday 22nd at 6pm (BST). Viewers can watch/take part HERE

Ian Evans said...

Europe catches BAILHACHITIS

Anonymous said...

hello mister rico

i saw the blog tv show. good start. you be better to format it with half hour for your big topic and half hour for question and discusions with the public chat.keep upping it. i watch again next week thankyou.

Chevalier Blanc said...

I just wish that all this info could get into everybodies hand just to see how corrupt the establishment really is in Jersey.
If only people had kept faith with Stuart Syvret when he stood for Senator then i would think most of this info would have come out in the States Chamber in one way or other,.
Everybody in this Island should realise just how much they owe to you Rico for the wonderful work you have done. I would like to see you open your own newspaper. Can't thank you enough for you and Stuart and the people from VFC.