Wednesday, October 30, 2013

LE ROCQUIER SCHOOL - CULTURE OF CONCEALMENT -SCRUTINY -3










EDUCATION MINISTER -DEPUTY RYAN

ASSISTANT MINISTER ROY LE HERRISIER




"LE ROCQUIER SCHOOL - CULTURE OF CONCEALMENT - 3"



"THE SHOOTING PISTOL INCIDENT"




AN UPDATE.


"Dear VFC
I am on vacation this week hence my slow reply. However - it was clear from my answers in the assembly that the internal disciplinary inquiry into the teacher's behaviour is confidential as are all disciplinary hearings for States employees. Please check with the relevant unions for confirmation. This matter is complete and closed as far as I am concerned. I will not be replying to any more emails on this." Education Minister



We, at Team Voice, had a meeting on Monday 28th October with the Chair of the Education and Home Affairs scrutiny panel Deputy Maçon. Also present was panel member Deputy Tadier and Scrutiny Officer Mike Haden.  The meeting lasted for roughly 1 hour.  I don't want to discuss what happened at the meeting in any great lengths at present as we are still awaiting some answers but I will say it was very productive. There is no better way than having face to face meetings - this cuts out a lot of time with bouncing emails back and forth - or not as the case might be. Why did some members vote against hearing from a member of the public? A person takes the time to go down to Scrutiny and they vote against hearing what the person has to say. I repeat they didn't even want to hear what the concerns might be - this simply can't be right. Talk about not wanting to engage with the public.



Both sides agreed that there are many questions that remained unanswered concerning this serious incident that resulted in a teacher being found guilty in the magistrate court and find a thousand ponds. There are lot of issues concerning what Scrutiny can and cannot do. This must be looked at. It's simply not good enough that the Education Department can investigate the Education Department and the two reports remain secret. This is the culture that must be changed. The protection of children must be open and transparent and at the very least and independent body must be able to look if Policy and Procedures have been followed to the book. Below is an email exchange between Team Voice - Education Minister, Deputy Ryan and his Assistant Minister Deputy Roy Le Herrissier. The Education Minister makes it quite plain what his position is on this serious incident.

You will notice that the email exchange starts on the 22nd October 2013. Also take note at how hard it is to get answers. We are talking about a serious incident. Have we learnt anything since Operation Rectangle? The secrecy must stop. Who has oversight of Education if not the Scrutiny Panel? But as will be looked at in future posts they say their hands are tied on this.  



From: VFC
Cc: Rico Sorda <ricosorda@yahoo.co.uk
Sent: Tuesday, 22 October 2013, 16:33
Subject: Evidence/statements

Minister, and DEPUTY MINISTER (so Roy knows what hat to put on).

After listening to the Education Minister's "answers" today in the States in relation to the outrageous school shooting, I was hoping one of you could help me with something?

Naturally I was horrified when I learnt that none of the child witnesses were interviewed by anybody concerning the "internal" (secret) disciplinary investigation of the teacher.

The Minister said this is because the children gave evidence/statements to the police investigation and the "internal" investigators could draw on those statements so there was no need to interview the children again.

Going by this "logic", I take it that the teacher wasn't interviewed by the "internal" investigation either, because he too gave evidence/statement to police that could have been drawn on for the "internal" investigation?

Could one of you (remember what hat you're wearing Roy) please confirm that the teacher, as the child, was not interviewed either?

VFC.  




On 22 October 2013 19:15,

 Le Herissier <leheriss@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Dear Mr. Voice Thanks for this and for bearing my confusion in mind.
If there is anything to add, I'm sure the Minister will be in touch,
Roy Le H



VFC
To Le Herissierp.ryan@gov.jeMe

22 Oct

Roy.

The last time I e-mailed the Minister, I recall having to wait in excess of a week just for an acknowledgement of the e-mail!

I'll not hold my breath in getting a reply and thank you for yours, although you didn't address my concern/answer my question.

This is how HDLG was able to be used as a paedophile play pen for decades. Nothing in Jersey's culture has changed has it?

VFC. 


VFC
To Le Herissierp.ryan@gov.jeMe

Oct 29 at 12:19 PM

Roy (Assistant Minister)

A week has now past and the Minister has not so much as acknowledged my e-mail as I had predicted and I am now having to consider a complaint against him to PPC.

Is this really the way to treat concerned members of the public? I'm sure the Minister would be the first to complain if he gets doorstepped!

VFC


Le Herissier
To VFC .ryan@gov.jeMe

Oct 29 at 5:16 PM

Mr Voice
Many thanks.
I cannot account for Dep Ryan's E Mails but I can confirm that he takes this matter very seriously
Roy Le H
.


vfc
To Le Herissierp.ryan@gov.jeMe

Oct 29 at 5:23 PM

Roy.

This is a Minister who thinks the possibility of having a Child Abuse suspect as as a Senior Civil Servant in his Department has nothing to do with him and is the responsibility of a body that doesn't even exist (as you do). He ignores my e-mails and you are "confirming" he takes Child Protection seriously?

You'll forgive me if I think you might be taking the p1ss out of me won't you?

VFCl.



On 29 October 2013 17:47, Patrick Ryan <P.Ryan@gov.je> wrote:

Dear VFC
I am on vacation this week hence my slow reply. However - it was clear from my answers in the assembly that the internal disciplinary inquiry into the teacher's behaviour is confidential as are all disciplinary hearings for States employees. Please check with the relevant unions for confirmation. This matter is complete and closed as far as I am concerned. I will not be replying to any more emails on this.

Kind Regards
Patrick Ryan



VFC
To Patrick RyanRoy Le HerissierJeremy Macon and 1 More...

Oct 29 at 6:03 PM

Minister.

If you are on vacation then might I suggest you put up an "out of office" e-mail reply in order to inform the public you are not ignoring them? You do have that facility and there is no reason why you shouldn't use it. There are a huge amount of questions surrounding this very suspicious and secret internal inquiry that WILL be getting asked.

I would ask that you reconsider your position and engage with me (a concerned member of the public) in order to assure me, and possibly my Blog readers, that Child Protection issues are dealt with differently now to how they were during the Haut de la Garenne era.

So far it looks exactly the same where secret "investigations" are going on, the public are told "nothing to see here move on" and then ignored when attempting to make sense of something that makes no sense at all. 

So I would ask that you don't ignore my e-mails and deal with this issue in an adult, open and democratic manner?

VFC. 

End



Where does that leave us I ask. Make no mistake Team Voice will not be letting this go nor will the good Deputy, T Pitman. But what of Scrutiny? Is anyone really scrutinising what is happening in their respective States Department? On Friday 25th October I caught a little segment on BBC Radio Jersey. I have put the audio up below. It concerns the General Hospital and the bashing that Southampton Hospital received in a recently published report. Have a listen. Even the presenter Matthew Price couldn't believe what he was hearing.  



Is Scrutiny really equipped to scrutinise a Hospital is running safely? Especially after the JEP put this online last week. Granted it is from the JEP but I been assured that their piece was accurate.



‘Bungling’ nurse left to work on
Saturday 26th October 2013, 2:00PM BST.

A HOSPITAL nurse accused of risking patient safety through massive incompetence was allowed to continue treating Islanders months after serious allegations against her first surfaced.
Josaphine Seymour is facing disciplinary action from the UK’s nursing regulator for allegedly putting patients on Beauport and Portelet Wards in jeopardy through 78 failings on 19 separate occasions.
A Heath spokesman said: ‘Health and Social Services is aware of this case. Beyond that it would not be appropriate to comment while an individual is going through an investigation process with the regulatory body for their profession.’
I thank BBC Jersey and the VFC technical department for the below audio 


Rico Sorda

Part Time Investigative Journalist

35 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done team voice for showing the same culture of concealment still runs thick through the veins of those who are meant to be protecting the children. NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE HDLG.

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

From one of my e-mails to RLH.

"This is a Minister who thinks the possibility of having a Child Abuse suspect as as a Senior Civil Servant in his Department has nothing to do with him and is the responsibility of a body that doesn't even exist (as you do)."

Readers might not understand the meaning of that paragraph or the "what hat RLH was wearing." This will all become clear when I publish the other e-mail chain.

Nothing whatsoever has changed since Haut de la Garenne and our children are no safer today than back then.

Anonymous said...

Where does that leave us I ask. Make no mistake Team Voice will not be letting this go nor will the good Deputy, T Pitman.

Why do you think trevor pitman should have access to details of a confidential report ?

Anonymous said...

'So I would ask that you don't ignore my e-mails and deal with this issue in an adult, open and democratic manner?'

A democratic manner would be to operate within the laws governing release of information to those so entitled.

An adult manner would be to politely refuse to enter into correspondence regarding a course of action which would constitute a breach of legislation.

The minister seems to have been as adult, democratic and open as he has been able to be with a member of the public asking for information he is not legally entitled to give.

Anonymous said...

The systematic failure to safeguard children and to learn lessons from past failures shows the problem is too entrenched to be fixed without some kind of outside pressure or direct intervention.

Anonymous said...

Well done Team Voice for standing up and asking the questions. What a very strange Island you inhabit.

Tom Gruchy said...

Concealment in education? - better look at the 400 years of misinformation revealed on www.tomgruchy.blogspot.com....shallyou be burning Guy Fawkes or Walter Raleigh this weekend and why should anybody be sacrificed at all for challenging the establishment of the day...

Anonymous said...

It's not the job of Scrutiny to query an internal School disciplinary, so I cannot understand why people like Deputy Tadier and Pitman are giving you the impression that they can.

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

"It's not the job of Scrutiny to query an internal School disciplinary, so I cannot understand why people like Deputy Tadier and Pitman are giving you the impression that they can."

As backbenchers they can ask questions and the Scrutiny Panel can scrutinise if policy was was(n't) followed.

Anonymous said...

"As backbenchers they can ask questions and the Scrutiny Panel can scrutinise if policy was was(n't) followed."

It's not Scrutiny's job to query an Internal School disciplinary or give guidance as to what policy the School must follow when the School already has its own prodedures.

I think the Education Minister summed it up when he said its confidential so I cannot understand why this Scrutiny Panel is giving the impression it has power to go deeper into this case when legally it does not.

Anonymous said...

Anoymous, 10:09, Children. The safety of Children. ASK QUESTINS.........

Anonymous said...

From Scrutiny's own website:

'We do not deal with individual concerns or complaints about decisions or administrative processes by a minister or any States department. These should be addressed directly with the department concerned or the States of Jersey Complaints Board.'

It seems that both yourself, and any members of the Scrutiny Panel who have made you promises about an investigation, have been mislead

Anonymous said...

Rico, may I repost this on the current page please -

Would you or one of your readers please clear up some confusion?
I keep reading about this "Politics Jersey" facebook group, but all I can find is a USER (not a GROUP) here https://www.facebook.com/politics.jersey

That user is a member of a GROUP https://www.facebook.com/groups/Thisisthebaldtruthjersey/ which looks like it might be what you're refering to, yet Tony's latest blog shows something that I can't find on that group!

Will someone PLEASE let me know what I'm missing!! Thanks

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

"It seems that both yourself, and any members of the Scrutiny Panel who have made you promises about an investigation, have been mislead"

This is the problem when people make up their own story of what's going on and ignore the facts.

Where, in this posting, does it say Scrutiny has given ANY promises?

Anonymous said...

This Scrutiny Panel is not fit for purpose.

Anonymous said...

'Where, in this posting, does it say Scrutiny has given ANY promises? '

Nowhere does it state that implicitly, but your comment on the outcome of your meeting 'but I will say it was very productive' implied it

Would you also care to point out where in my question it says that scrutiny absolutely made you promises ?

I may have implied it, but I guess that's what happens when you leave things open to the readers interpretation isn't it ?

Anonymous said...

To anon @ 11:19 this morning. You can find this group on Facebook at this URL:

Politics Jersey

Your friendly neighbourhood nerd

The Beano is not the Rag

Anonymous said...

Politics Jersey can be found on facebook. I don't know how to do links it should be easy to find. Don't have high hopes of finding something special. The content of these postings should concern you more.

Anonymous said...

I love the lady on the youtube at bottom of posting talking about jersey hospital and she says all ok because we tell you it is. Ironic that is where the kid ended up with education saying all ok and we won't be telling you anything. Go you bloggers.

Anonymous said...

'Where, in this posting, does it say Scrutiny has given ANY promises? '

"Nowhere does it state that implicitly, but your comment on the outcome of your meeting 'but I will say it was very productive' implied it"

I'm more baffled as to why someone would find 'productive' as a negative when you are discussing child protection. How strange is that. Why is anon so concerned Does he work for education

Anonymous said...

"Dear VFC I am on vacation this week hence my slow reply. However - it was clear from my answers in the assembly that the internal disciplinary inquiry into the teacher's behaviour is confidential as are all disciplinary hearings for States employees. Please check with the relevant unions for confirmation. This matter is complete and closed as far as I am concerned. I will not be replying to any more emails on this." Education Minister

I heard the union paid the teachers fine. Is this true do you know. Maybe Deputy Southern could check with his wife.

Anonymous said...

'I'm more baffled as to why someone would find 'productive' as a negative when you are discussing child protection.'

What a strange question. Who has said that finding a meeting productive was a negative ?

And I wondered how long it would take for the conspiracy nonsense to start. I don't work for education, but don't let that bother you when you are trying to concoct some sort of ulterior machinations to this whole affair.

Much like the bloggers here, I am just a member of the public who likes to ask questions and point out mistakes. Just because those questions don't necessarily toe the bloggers party line, does it make it ok to insult me, or imply improper motives ?

Anonymous said...

What are the last couple of blog comments on about?

Someone trying to take a subject off topic using psychobabble.





Anonymous said...

Rico,

Off-topic I know, but has anyone noted that Murray Norton has left BBC Jersey? His last programme was this morning. There's been no announcement from the BBC, or Norton and nothing has been said on the radio about the reason he has left.

Without some clear comment to the contrary from the BBC it's very difficult not to connect his departure to the recent Mail On Sunday article. In which case, is their silence yet another example of the BBC trying to extricate itself from a very difficult position on the QT?

rico sorda said...

Murray Norton was freelance and I have no idea why he left. I never listened to his show. Might have been mutual - might not.

rico sorda said...

Anon, seems to have a problem with what scrutiny can and cannot do. We are just trying to do something. I'm not worried about the semantics of scrutiny I want positivity. What can be done. Simple as that. Keep asking the questions and looking for the answers.

rs

Anonymous said...

What so you will carry on asking the same questions despite the answers never being disclosed because they are none of your business? is that what you are saying?

Zoompad said...

"Much like the bloggers here, I am just a member of the public "

Who are you then?

Anonymous said...

Interesting read in how to conduct a disciplinary inquiry in School

rico sorda said...

I have been getting some rather abusive comments from the cyber bully that I obviously wont be publishing. They are telling me to leave this alone as it has nothing to do with me. Along with the comments I have published saying the same it has the the opposite affect on me. it simply makes me even more determined. As I now know there must be something there.

rs

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Facebook group link, it makes interesting reading.

Anonymous said...

Rico,

You said,"it simply makes me even more determined. As I now know there must be something there."

Now that is the motivation of a good journalist, spoken like a true newshound with a "nose" for the hidden story. Methinks you were born to do this, even if (sometimes) reluctantly.

voiceforchildren said...

Rico.

CONTEMPT OF (UNLAWFUL?)COURT?

Anonymous said...

What looks like a "must watch" this evening:

PANORAMA - BBC1 8.30 pm Monday November 4th, 2013

AFTER SAVILE NO MORE SECRETS

"Why was it so easy for paedophiles like Jimmy Savile to get away with abusing children?
In other countries evidence of abuse must be reported to the authorities. But here, turning a blind eye to child abuse in a school, or a hospital, or a church is not a crime.

Reporter Sanchia Berg talks to victims, police and senior figures who are now calling for
Britain to change the law and uncovers secret files which show that the government knew
for decades that children's homes and schools covered up abuse.

Head teachers and governors routinely moved abusers, sending them on with a good reference,
rather than call the police. Even today, some head teachers still fail to act on reports
and complaints."

It will be on the i-player for those who miss it.

rico sorda said...

There is a lot going on at the moment not least the jailing of Stuart Syvret. It seems like an annual event now.

But the Jersey Monty Python award goes to Chris Bright and And Sibcy of the JEP and a ridiculous story they were trying to pin on Deputy Shona & Trevor Pitman.

I kid you not - I have been at this a long time but today was just bonkers in court.

I will let the story break

rs